Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Amy Hatvany - The Language of Sisters: A Novel

23. The Language of Sisters: A Novel by Amy Hatvany (2002)
Length: 312 pages 
Genre: Contemporary Fiction 
Started: 23 April 2016
Finished: 26 April 2016
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale 
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 June 2015
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Amy Hatvany is a new author for me.

It has been a decade since Nicole Hunter left her troubles behind her. Ten years since she made the decision to leave her dysfunctional family and troubled home, and search for contentment elsewhere. She loves her family deeply, yet also finds herself unable to cope with the demands of living a life with her severely disabled sister, Jenny. While she has always felt somewhat guilty for leaving, Nicole tells herself that at the time she was doing the right thing.

Although her continuing search for happiness - both in her career and in love - has fallen somewhat short of her dreams, Nicole still pretends to everyone that all is well. Then an earth-shattering phone call sends her rushing back home to be with her family. As Nicole's world is turned upside down, she soon finds herself back in her hometown, caring for her pregnant sister and attempting to heal her contentious relationship with her mother. While it may be difficult for her to do, Nicole views her return to her hometown as a chance to reconnect with her family.

Reunited with her family and forced to confront the guilt that still haunts her, Nicole recognizes that she finally has the chance to be the sister she always wanted to be. A second chance to be the sister she always wished she had been when she was younger. She soon comes to the realization that her feelings of guilt are almost entirely subjective. And when she is faced with the most difficult choice of her life, Nicole rediscovers the beauty of sisterhood - and receives a special gift that will change her life forever.

First of all, let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The story was well-written and sharply developed. I found myself connecting with the characters and really feeling for them and what they were all going through. In my opinion, Ms. Hatvany's writing style is both compassionate and extremely poignant. Having said that, I also must admit that the story seemed just the slightest bit predictable. I would still give this book a very strong A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)