Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Mark Salzman - Lying Awake: A Novel

48. Lying Awake: A Novel by Mark Salzman (2000)
Length: 181 pages 
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 13 October 2016
Finished: 18 October 2016
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 7 June 2016
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Mark Salzman is a new author for me.

Somewhere outside present-day Los Angeles - cloistered inside a Carmelite convent - Sister John of the Cross spends her days in contemplation of the divinity of the Lord. While the pace of life within the walls of this holy place has remained unchanged for centuries, Sister John has dedicated her life to the service of others. She has used her God-given talents to bring recognition to her sisters and to her convent by writing inspirational and religious poetry. While she has spent her many years there honoring God and His many blessings, she has also experienced something not many people ever have.

She alone witnesses visions of such dazzling grace and spiritual intensity, that she is viewed as a modern-day prophetess by many of her sisters. These visions are both extraordinarily powerful and profoundly insightful, and Sister John has even gained some small measure of fame from within the community of Los Angles because of the brilliance of her poetry. However, despite her growing prominence as an author and poet, Sister John still remains humble and counts herself extraordinarily blessed to have had such wonderful experiences and gives all glory to God. However, sooner or later Sister John will eventually face a very human dilemma.

For years she has suffered from debilitating headaches, sharp pain that usually accompanies Sister John's miraculous visions. When a doctor reveals that her headaches may actually be a sign of something more dangerous, she faces a devastating choice. Because if Sister John's spiritual gifts are just physical symptoms of a serious illness rather than signs of grace bestowed on her, will seeking an earthly "cure" mean that her soul will ultimately become bereft; or that God will eventually forsake His faithful servant?

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. In my opinion, it was a delightful story and I really appreciated this poignant glimpse into a life spent within a convent. I will say that I have always been interested in reading anything that involves living the cloistered life. I would certainly give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

1 comment:

  1. I would like to read this one. I read one titled Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen, about a young nun who experiences stigmata and how she, and her fellow nuns at the convent deal with the experience. I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)