Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Karen Hall - Dark Debts

30. Dark Debts by Karen Hall (1996)
Length: 403 pages 
Genre: Horror 
Started: 2 June 2016
Finished: 7 June 2016
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale 
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 14 August 2001
Why do I have it? I like horror and Karen Hall is a new author for me.

There is a malevolent entity which derives its power from the corruption of the innocent. Such an infestation of body and spirit drives its victims to the brink of insanity, suicide, and acts of murderous brutality. For the Landry family from Georgia, this demonic entity has seemingly been targeting its members for generations. And subsequently the demon has apparently claimed its latest victim: Cam Landry.

Generally thought to be the sanest member of the Landry family, Cam's sudden suicide comes as an unexpected shock to his longtime love, Randa Phillips. Determined to find out why the man she loved would ever take his own life, Randa - a columnist for an alternative Los Angeles newspaper - begins to investigate the rumors of an alleged Landry family curse. As she continues her search, Randa vows to herself that she will do whatever she can to protect Cam's brother Jack - the last surviving member of the family from the generational curse.

Michael Kinney is an outspoken Jesuit priest who has recently been disciplined by his superiors for voicing some very public sentiments. Struggling with a personal crisis of faith and questioning the strength of his desire to continue on in his vocation, Father Kinney suddenly finds himself tempted by the attractive editor of the New Yorker Magazine. As he wrestles with his faith in the face of his inappropriate feelings of lust, Father Kinney will soon find himself at the center of supernatural storm.

The reluctant demonologist will eventually take a frightening journey into the heart and soul of the tormented Landry family. As he begins unraveling three generations of secrets and battles for Jack Landry's very soul, Father Kinney will soon find himself a target of the dark forces hell-bent on his destruction. Brilliantly imagined and compulsively readable, Dark Debts is a pulse-pounding supernatural thriller - a remarkable novel that will grip you with its nightmare vision of evil and hold you spellbound until the very last page.

First of all, let me say that I can remember reading this book for the first time approximately ten or fifteen years ago. It was an intriguing story then and in my opinion, moved along at a relatively quick pace. Reading it for the second time though, I couldn't help but feel slightly unsatified by some elements of the story.

Don't get me wrong, I still found this to be an intriguing story and enjoyed it immensely, I just noticed that certain elements seemed slightly forced. Nevertheless, I would still give this book a definite A! Having said that, I was delighted to learn that Ms. Hall has recently released a heavily-revised Twentieth Anniversary edition of Dark Debts in March of 2016!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)