Tuesday, May 7, 2013

William Peter Blatty - Elsewhere

39. Elsewhere by William Peter Blatty (1999)
Length: 222 pages
Genre: Short Story
Started: 6 May 2013
Finished: 7 May 2013
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 6 May 2013
Why do I have it? I like horror and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

'Elsewhere' is a mansion built in the 1930s and situated on Craven's Cove, a tiny isolated island in Manhattan. Realtor Joan Freeboard - in an effort to dispel the mansion's eerie reputation, obviously fueled by decades of persistent rumors of unexplained activity in the house - arranges for a psychic, a parapsychologist and a noted author to move into 'Elsewhere' with her and ultimately declare it ghost-free. Isolated from civilization by a storm, and stranded on Craven's Cove, the four would-be researchers become absorbed by the house and its growing sense of strangeness. Inevitably, exploring the house's secrets exposes their own - 'Elsewhere' forces them to accept the individual realities that they have created for themselves.

Elsewhere by William Peter Blatty was really very good. In my opinion, the author builds the tension very admirably throughout the book, so it was a quick and easy read for me, filled with many satisfactory instances of thrills and chills. Elsewhere was perhaps not up to the caliber of The Exorcist, when it comes to the 'fainting in my seat, rushing back into my Church' level of horror, but Elsewhere was still very good and I give it an A! 

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)