Thursday, May 9, 2013

Deborah Bedford - His Other Wife: A Novel

40. His Other Wife: A Novel by Deborah Bedford (2011)
Length: 296 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 8 May 2013
Finished: 9 May 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 20 April 2013
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Deborah Bedford is a new author for me.

Ever since her divorce from her husband Eric, Hilary Myers has done everything within her power to control life for herself and her son, Seth. Beneath a calm facade, she is terrified of in some way failing Seth. She has struggled hard to raise him on her own, and she has succeeded - Seth is now set to graduate from high school and enroll at the University of Illinois with a full scholarship.

But Hilary's worst fears are realized when there is a rock-climbing accident at a post-graduation campout. A young girl is hurt, and Seth is arrested. Pamela, Eric's new wife and Seth's stepmother, blames Hilary for allowing Seth to go on the campout in the first place. With Seth's college scholarship now just a distant memory and his entire future at stake, the women must come together for Seth's sake.

Will Hilary's love for her son be strong enough for her to put aside her anger and bitterness against Pamela and ultimately entrust Seth to her ex-husband's other wife? I really do enjoy books dealing with family dynamics, especially families in crisis. This is contemporary fiction with a somewhat Christian theme - not overbearingly so, in my opinion - but still strongly evident to me. I give this book an A+! and will certainly be searching for more books by this author to read in the future.

A+! - (96-100%)  

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

3 comments:

  1. Mary, thanks for stopping by and helping to build this month's "library". Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome, Carole! :) See you next month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this a while back. I liked it. Nice review...THANKS.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved May Edition. I am in the list as #36.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)