Saturday, January 16, 2016

Lawrence Block - A Walk Among the Tombstones

4. A Walk Among the Tombstones by Lawrence Block (1992)
The Matthew Scudder Crime Novels Series Book 10
Length: 347 pages 
Genre: Contemporary Mystery 
Started: 14 January 2016
Finished: 16 January 2016
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch 
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 13 January 2016
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Lawrence Block is a new author for me.

A stunningly resourceful brand of criminal has recently set up shop in the big city; an ingenious breed of human predators who victimize the loved ones of those who live outside the law. These sadistic extortionists have certainly chosen their victims wisely; knowing that criminals will never run to the police, no matter how brutal the threat. As a result, these vicious monsters have consistently been able to get away with their nefarious business.

On a Thursday morning in late March, Francine Khoury leaves her home to run some errands. Hours later, her heroin-dealing husband Kenan receives a mysterious phone call demanding a hefty ransom for Francine's safe return. Despite following all of the caller's instructions - including delivering payment - Kenan is devastated by the discovery of his wife's mutilated body in the trunk of a car.

Desperate to bring his wife's sadistic murderers to justice, Kenan knows that he can't turn to the police for help. Instead, he explores alternative avenues for justice: which is where Matthew Scudder comes in. Matthew Scudder - ex-cop turned private eye - has absolutely no love for the drug dealers and glorified poison peddlers who have now come to him for help. However, Matt's personal aversion to Kenan Khoury's shady lifestyle in no way lessens the private investigator's sorrow for the man's horrific loss.

Matthew Scudder, private eye, will do whatever it takes to bring these perpetrators to justice - because they are using the innocent to fuel their diabolical schemes. He is determined to find the elusive extortionists and put them out of business permanently. Before another drop of innocent blood is spilled.

First of all, let me say that I had initially wanted to read this book after seeing advertisements for the 2014 film adaptation starring Liam Neeson. I may never actually see the movie, but the book was definitely worth the wait to read. In my opinion, while the plot dealt with some seriously dark issues, it was still remarkably realistic. Although parts of the story were difficult for me to read because of some graphically violent passages, I still enjoyed the book very much. I would give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)