Saturday, January 30, 2016

Kay Wilkins - A Scaly Tale

8. A Scaly Tale by Kay Wilkins (2010)
The Ripley's Bureau of Investigation: Ripley's RBI Series Book 1
Length: 125 pages 
Genre: Science Fiction 
Started: 29 January 2016
Finished: 30 January 2016
Where did it come from? Mareena downloaded this ebook from Amazon back in September of 2014 as a 'just because' gift for me. Then I acquired a physical copy from Bookmooch.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 13 September 2014 as an ebook; Since 23 November 2015 as a physical book.
Why do I have it? I like Ripley's Believe it or Not! and Kay Wilkins is a new author for me.

Hidden away on a small island off the East Coast of the United States is a unique school for children who possess a variety of extraordinary talents - that school's name is Ripley High. Located in the former home of Robert Ripley - creator of the world-famous 'Ripley's Believe it or Not!' franchise - the school takes in students who all share a secret. Although they may look like ordinary kids, these students all possess extraordinary talents or amazing skills: the ability to conduct electricity, or superhuman strength, or control over the weather - these are just a few of the talents that the Ripley High School students possess.

The Florida swamplands are home to all manner of strange phenomena - hungry alligators, wild electrical storms, and recently, sightings of a most unusual creature. Eye-witness accounts of a weird lizard-like animal have spread all throughout Florida and have finally reached the hallowed halls of Ripley High. The top secret agency known as 'Ripley's Bureau of Investigation' - or the RBI - sends their expert team of investigators to Florida to see what they can discover.

The RBI accepts only the best and brightest students from among Ripley High's already unique student body and asks them to join this elite agency. Seven teenage agents have proven that they have the best qualifications for membership. Under the guise of being members of a school museum club, these teenagers investigate seemingly unbelievable or outrageous claims in order to discover each case's validity. During their search of the Florida Everglades, these RBI agents will find themselves in the middle of a high-speed airboat chase, a swarm of rats, a mysterious treasure hunt, and facing off against undercover agents from the 'Department of Unbelievable Lies' - or the DUL. Believe it or Not! - this is just a typical day for the members of the RBI!

I must say that when Mareena gave this book to me as her 'just because' gift for November, neither of us were really expecting the book that I received. I usually love reading children's books, especially any type of 'fun facts' children's books. This is that type of book, although it does have a good dose of science fiction running through the storyline as well.

To be perfectly honest, I don't usually read anything remotely related to the science fiction genre, but I think that children would certainly enjoy reading this particular book. I appreciated that the trivia and fun facts were interspersed throughout the story, and can certainly see children enjoying the main adventurous plot. I give this book an A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)