Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Rereads Are Starting Early This Year!

Hello everyone! I hope that you're all just fine this morning - I certainly am! :) Anyway, I just wanted to give you an update on how I'm doing so far.

First of all, I actually started doing something again that I did semi-professionally for several years after I was married: which was knitting. For about three or four years after my husband and I were married - in fact, just before Mareena was born - I used to knit things for my neighbors and occasionally sold some of these creations as well. My 'business' wasn't all that exclusive; although I generally knitted only by request and not always for payment. So, for the past couple of days I have been knitting a little jacket for myself.

As I have said before, Mareena and I are watching some really great horror movies on television - sometimes on cable channels such as 'Chiller', 'Ovation' or 'IFC' - or sometimes on the 'On Demand' Channel - which is kind of like watching movies but without having a DVD player. Actually, the first two movies that Mareena and I watched together on the 'On Demand' Channel were The Autopsy of Jane Doe - a horror movie released in 2016; which we watched on Monday afternoon, January 9th and The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death - a horror movie released in 2014; which we watched on Saturday afternoon, January 14th. Both movies were actually very good, although I have to admit that The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death was remarkably dark, at least visually.

I'm not saying that as a horror movie, there should never be any dark scenes filmed at all, but if I was to offer some advice to any director - could you please use some better lighting in your horror movies? Just to allow your audience to actually see what they should be frightened of? I had such trouble following what was going on because there was almost no light in so many of the scenes.

Also, could you perhaps spend longer than thirty seconds on something that has been written? At least give your audience the chance to read enough of written notes to get the gist of what you are trying to portray. Alright, nitpicking session over and done with for now, thank you very much!

I'm also still working through an amazing backlog of crossword puzzles and sudoku puzzles from the newspaper. So far, I've done approximately 70 sudoku and crossword puzzles from the newspaper, although I have also done some sum-doku puzzles from my puzzle books, too! I haven't really finished an entire sum-doku puzzle book from my collection since Saturday, December 3rd - I have been working through partial puzzles from the moderately difficult to extremely difficult levels!

So, as regards my own reading, the most recent book that I've read was A Wayside Tavern by Norah Lofts, which I finished on Thursday, January 12th! I do vaguely remember reading this book about twenty years ago or so, although I don't really remember all that much about the plot of it. To be perfectly honest, while the book is very good, it's not really Norah Lofts' best work, at least in my opinion.

I immediately started to read Treasures by Belva Plain on Thursday, January 12th. I actually have two copies of this book in my library, and I read it for the first time over six days in September of 2010 - from September 11th, to September 17th, 2010! Anyway, according to Goodreads - as of today, January 15th - I've actually read 165 pages out of 528 in Treasures by Belva Plain; or approximately 31 percent. Since my own copy of Treasures by Belva Plain actually has 517 pages in it; reading 165 pages means that I have read approximately 32 percent.

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)