Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Christopher R. Beha - What Happened to Sophie Wilder: A Novel

2. What Happened to Sophie Wilder: A Novel by Christopher R. Beha (2012)
Length: 255 pages 
Genre: Contemporary Fiction 
Started: 2 January 2017
Finished: 4 January 2017
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 16 August 2014
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Christopher R. Beha is a new author for me.

Charlie Blakeman is a recently published author whose first novel has received minimal acclaim. He currently lives with his cousin Max in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City. The cousins live on Washington Square, and while Max is relatively successful in his career as a film critic for the local weekly newspaper, Charlie finds himself struggling to write his follow-up novel. For reasons that he can't seem to explain, Charlie is floundering for any serious literary inspirations, and is beginning to settle into an unexpected and somewhat boring routine in his life.

That is when Charlie's college love suddenly returns. Sophie Wilder and Charlie Blakeman had once been extraordinarily close until they had had a strange fallout about a decade before. Since then, they have barely spoken to each other, but Charlie is still pleasantly surprised to see Sophie. She actually appears to be having some difficulties within her own life as well, although Charlie isn't quite sure of the reason why.

So, Sophie begins to tell Charlie the story of her life since they had last seen each other. She tells him of the brief period of time that she spent as a hospice care giver; and particularly of the dying man with the terrible past who forced Sophie to make an extraordinarily difficult decision. When she disappears once again, Charlie sets out to discover what really happened to Sophie Wilder.

I must admit that I really enjoyed reading this book. The story caught and held my attention right away, and was very well written. I would give this book an A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)