Monday, July 4, 2016

God Bless America!

Hello everyone! I hope that you're all just fine this morning - I certainly am! :) Anyway, I just wanted to give you an update on how I'm doing so far.

So, Independence Day has always held a special meaning for me - my late husband and I both became American citizens in 1988. While I can't remember if our naturalization ceremony actually took place on July 4th of that year, I vividly remember how a ten-year-old Mareena helped her parents study for their exams! She made up flash cards with bullet points about each president's history; the constitution and its amendments; everything having to do with American history that she could possibly think of. Granted, the majority of what she prepared us for wasn't actually on the test - but the thought was there, nonetheless! LOL!!!

Mareena became a American citizen herself on July 4th, 1997 - nine years later. What I remember most about her naturalization ceremony was that the the Mayor of Albany administered her Oath of Allegiance; the television stations covered it all; and at the celebration that was held after she took the Oath of Allegiance, Mareena apparently knew all the lyrics to 'God Bless the U. S. A.' by Lee Greenwood.

Mareena and I also adopted our three adorable kitties on July 4th, 2011. I must say that it was absolutely the best decision that we ever made. Ruby, Leila and Lollipop have all brought us so much joy since they've come into our lives!

Anyway, with regards to my reading, the last book that I read was Charming Billy: A Novel by Alice McDermott. I started reading this book on Monday, June 27th and finished it four days later - on Friday, July 1st! Then I immediately started reading Unholy Fire by Whitley Strieber the next day - on Saturday, July 2nd! This is actually the second book from the box of sixteen that I brought up from my garage back in June.

According to Goodreads - as of today, Monday, July 4th - I'm currently on page 83 of 327; or approximately 25 percent into the story. I haven't read Unholy Fire by Whitley Strieber before, but I did read The Forbidden Zone by Whitley Strieber back in February of 2010 - and here is my review. So far, I'm really enjoying Unholy Fire by Whitley Strieber.

Mareena was 'surfing' the Internet yesterday afternoon, July 3rd and brought something to my attention that she saw posted on Facebook. It was a video about the true story behind Francis Scott Key and his writing of the American National Anthem: 'The Star-Spangled Banner'. Mareena told me that while she knew something about the history of the National Anthem as well as about Francis Scott Key himself; she hadn't heard the entire story behind the writing of 'The Star-Spangled Banner'. When she showed me the video, I was so moved by it that I just had to share it here!

So, I hope that all of you have an absolutely wonderful Independence Day and God bless America!


Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)