Sunday, April 19, 2015

Winston Graham - Angell, Pearl and Little God

24. Angell, Pearl and Little God by Winston Graham (1970)
Length: 479 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 14 April 2015
Finished: 19 April 2015
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 13 April 2015
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Winston Graham is a new author for me.

Pearl Fridell is a truly beautiful woman; yet is she also to blame for her beauty? All she knew was that the self-indulgent but successful solicitor, Wilfred Angell would never have looked at her twice if she had been plain. Mr. Angell was a self-described lover of beautiful things, and through her relationship with him, Pearl was exposed to a fashionable lifestyle that she otherwise never would have experienced had she stayed in the background for her entire life. It was quite a satisfactory arrangement for the both of them.

That was until an ambitious boxer named 'Little God' enters their lives. Little God has earned a vicious reputation for himself - both inside and outside of the ring - and he is known as a man who consistently gets what he wants - no matter what the cost. Now, Little God has set his sights on Pearl, and he decides he wants her for himself. In the end, just what problems will arise because of Pearl's beauty?

First of all, let me say that I wasn't planning on reading this book. I was actually wanting to read something from Winston Graham's Poldark Series, as PBS will begin airing the new series on 'Masterpiece' starting in June. Mareena couldn't find any books in the Poldark Series for me on any of the swapping sites that we belong to, so she requested three of Winston Graham's other books instead. I'm so glad that she got this book for me, because it was so good.

I must admit that I wasn't expecting to enjoy reading this book as much as I did. A main component of the story involves the sport of boxing, and since I don't know the first thing about boxing - and don't find the sport interesting at all - I wasn't sure how boxing itself would figure into the story. To be perfectly honest, the story starts out slower than I expected - I was tempted to set the book aside and stop reading for a while.

I'm so glad that I stuck with the book, though, it was quite a hidden gem for me. This was quite an interesting story, with an intriguing and dramatic plot. All in all, I found this to be an unexpectedly excellent book; and I would give it an A+! 

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)