Sunday, April 5, 2015

Hillary Mantel's 'Wolf Hall' Movie Review

'Wolf Hall': From left, Damian Lewis, Mark Rylance and Claire Foy (as Anne Boleyn) star in this six-part adaptation of two of Hilary Mantel's novels: Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies'Wolf Hall' airs on PBS' 'Masterpiece', Sunday nights at 10 PM, Eastern and Pacific times; 9 PM, Central Time

So in June of 2011, Mareena and I went to our local Barnes and Noble Bookstore to celebrate Mareena's birthday. She had bought herself a paperback copy of Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel along with two other books - although I couldn't tell you what those other books were. When we first learned last week that 'Masterpiece' would be airing a television adaptation of Hilary Mantel's 2009 book Wolf Hall from Sunday night, April 5th, to Sunday night, May 10th, 2015; Mareena told me excitedly that she had a copy of Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel that was somewhere in her room. She told me exactly where it was in her room - something that was quite a feat in itself - and I went in and grabbed it for her.
Since she said that I could read it whenever I wanted, the book is currently sitting on my bedside table waiting for me to pick it up. I'll probably end up reading it sometime after the show ends in May. The 2009 book Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel is the first novel in the Thomas Cromwell Trilogy; followed in 2012 by Bringing up the Bodies and the trilogy will conclude with The Mirror and the Light - a novel that I believe will be published in 2015. Despite having a copy of Wolf Hall already, Mareena has a request for a copy of Bringing up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel on her Wish List on several of the swapping websites to which we belong.

Mareena has told me that she has actually read slightly mixed reviews of Hilary Mantel's book Wolf Hall, although she doesn't usually pay that much attention to them. She generally withholds her own personal opinion until she reads the book for herself. If the book interests her enough, she will read it no matter what the reviews may say. Here's hoping that the television adaptation of 'Wolf Hall' is good and solid.

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)