Monday, April 13, 2015

Susan Madison - The Color of Hope

23. Reader's Digest Select Editions, Volume 5: The Color of Hope by Susan Madison (2000)
The Reader's Digest Select Editions Series Volume 5: 2000 - (Ghost Moon/The Empty Chair/Hawke's Cove/The Color of Hope)
Length: 133 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 12 April 2015
Finished: 13 April 2015
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 10 May 2001
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Susan Madison is a new author for me. I also love to read Reader's Digest Select Editions from time to time.

It's the sea, they said in high, bright voices. Come on, honey, the sea. Pebbles shifted under her toes. Slippery. Cold. The ground gave way. She stumbled and fell. Mommy! Daddy! She heard them, miles above her, laughing. She tried to stand, but an unexpected wave slammed into her, glassy and green, determined.

For the Connelly family, life was beyond perfect. Ruth was a successful corporate lawyer for a prestigious Boston law firm, her husband Paul was a well-respected professor working at two colleges, who wrote in his spare time. They had two lovely children: Sixteen-year-old Josephine, known as Josie, and fourteen-year-old William. And every summer was spent at the family's summerhouse, the place where generations of Ruth's family had reveled in the beauty of the Maine coast.

It was certainly a place to make enough memories to last a lifetime. Yet, almost without her realizing it, everything is slowly disintegrating. This summer, there is apparently no escape from the tension that has surfaced between herself and her troubled daughter, Josie. That tension has begun to spread into her and Paul's relationship as well, adding strain to a once rock-solid marriage.

When a long-promised sailing trip to celebrate Will's birthday turns tragic, his idyllic birthday treat suddenly turns into a family nightmare. Trapped by such a tragedy, mired in her own personal destructive spiral of guilt and denial, Ruth knows only the darkness of her own loss and grief. It is only when she finally finds the courage to return to Maine and confront her conflicting emotions, that Ruth begins to understand that sometimes the greatest and deepest pain is inflicted on those we love the most.

Susan Madison is a new author to me and this is actually the first book of hers that I've ever read. I certainly enjoyed this book very much - it was interesting and fast-paced, and I would love to be able to read more of Ms. Madison's work in the future. However, I found the plot to be just the slightest bit far-fetched and somewhat implausible. However, I would still give this book an A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)