Sunday, February 3, 2013

Susan Hill - The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story

11. The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill (1983)
Length: 164 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 2 February 2013
Finished: 3 February 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 2 February 2013
Why do I have it? I like horror and Susan Hill is a new author for me.

Arthur Kipps is an up-and-coming London solicitor who is sent to the town of Crythin Gifford - deep in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway. He comes to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client, Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and cloaked in mystery, however Arthur is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind Eel Marsh House's sheltered windows.

The routine business trip Arthur anticipated upon his arrival quickly takes a horrifying turn. He glimpses a wasted young woman, dressed all in black, at the funeral and a creeping sense of dread begins to take hold within him. As he sorts through Mrs. Drablow's papers, Arthur is continually haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and apparitions - a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap in trouble, and a child's terrified scream in the fog.

I have to say that I absolutely loved this book. The story was just my style of horror! Mareena was looking through the bookshelves and just had to grab this book before anyone else did. She had bought an ebook of this book for herself about a year ago and had been on the lookout for a physical copy of The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill ever since. I give this book an A+! and I have Mrs. Dewinter by the same author already on my bookshelf. I'll also be placing The Mist in the Mirror by Susan Hill on my Wish List.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking this in to Books You Loved. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Carole! See you next month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me intrigued...thanks for the review and comments.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved February Edition I am in that list as #13.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete
  4. New visitor from Books You Love! I have not read Susan Hill but this sounds very good. I will see if my library has this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Elizabeth,

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill was certainly very intriguing - not your average 'shocking, in-your-face' type of haunting but more of a 'quiet build up of a certain malevolent presence' type of haunting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Peggy,

    Thank you for stopping by and it's great to meet you! :)

    Apart from having Mrs. Dewinter by Susan Hill - which is the sequel to Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - sitting unread on my bookshelf, I had never read anything by Susan Hill before. She certainly seems to be a great writer. :) By the way, I'm now a follower of your blog, Peggy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)