Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Jean Harris - "They Always Call us Ladies": Stories From Prison

15. "They Always Call us Ladies": Stories From Prison by Jean Harris (1988)
Length: 276 pages
Genre: Non-Fiction
Started: 9 February 2013
Finished 13 February 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 2 February 2013
Why do I have it? I like non-fiction and had not realized that Jean Harris had written any books while she was in prison.

Jean Harris, who gained notoriety after she was convicted of the murder of Dr. Herman Tarnower in 1980 - in a case that became known as the "Scarsdale Diet Case" - had written two other books besides this one. She served eleven years of a fifteen-year-to-life sentence before her sentence was commuted by Governor Cuomo in December of 1992. She wrote "They Always Call us Ladies": Stories From Prison in order to highlight the state of the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility For Women in Westchester, New York as well as the state of the United States Prison System in general. Jean Harris passed away at an assisted-living center in New Haven, Connecticut on December 23, 2012 at the age of 89.

"They Always Call us Ladies": Stories From Prison was not quite what I expected when I picked up the book. Although it did eventually improve slightly about halfway through, I found that the majority of it was quite boring - filled with facts, figures and statistics that were written about in a dry and uninteresting way. I give this book a B+!

B+! - (89-85%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)