Friday, May 11, 2012

Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

39. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (2008)
Length: 294 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 8 May 2012
Finished: 11 May 2012
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 3 March 2012
Why do I have it? I like historical fiction and Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows are new authors for me.

January 1946: London is slowly emerging from the deep shadows of World War II and writer Juliet Ashton is in search of the subject of her next book. Who could know that she would find it in a letter written to her by a man whom she's never met. This gentleman, a native of the Island of Guernsey, came across her name written inside a book written by Charles Lamb.

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of the man and his friends - all members of a secret society - The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society - formed out of a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island. Each member brings something to this intrepid circle of firm, fast friends that develops. From pig farmers to phrenologists, they are literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society's members, learning about their island, their taste in books and the impact that the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, Juliet eventually sets sail to see Guernsey for herself. What she discovers there will change her life forever.

I must say that I found this to be a truly captivating book, myself, and was drawn to the characters' plight and heroism. I really couldn't put this book down and found myself hoping against hope that each character would come through their trials and tribulations safe and sound on the other side. This book really highlighted for me how Guernsey and the rest of the Channel Islands survived and, yes, even thrived amidst such terrible deprivatation and hardship. I would give this book an A+! Ms. Shaffer and her niece, Ms. Barrows have created, in my opinion, a truly memorable book.

A+! - (96-100%)


Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)