Tuesday, May 15, 2012

John Christopher - The White Voyage

40. The White Voyage by John Christopher (1960)
Length: 212 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 12 May 2012
Finished: 15 May 2012
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 April 2009
Why do I have it? I was intrigued by the plot and John Christopher is a new author for me.

From the very beginning of their voyage, the portents are ominous when the Kreya sets sail from Dublin to Copenhagan: bad weather, discontent among the crew, suspicion and secrecy amongst the passengers. Then, during an horrific storm, in midst of humongous swells, disaster strikes: a smashed rudder that cannot be repaired, followed by a mutiny.
The passengers and ship's officers who are left, are completely at the mercy of the mighty ocean, drifting helplessly, driven inexorably north by wind and waves towards the most terrible ordeal of all.

I have had this book for about three years, sitting on my shelf; alternately being shifted in and out of my field of vision. I don't know why I just didn't just sit down one day and read it straight out. Maybe it was a sense that I just really wasn't in the mood to read this book at certain times. However, I finally took the plunge and read it. I'm so glad that I did! It was heart-stopping for me in places and I found myself alternately booing and cheering the characters actions. I whole-heartedly give this book an A+! and was saddened to learn that Mr. Youd (John Christopher is just one of his many pseudonyms) passed away recently from cancer. He was probably better well-known for his science fiction, however he did write quite a number of books in a variety of genres.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)