Friday, January 6, 2012

Dennis Wheatley - To the Devil a Daughter

1. To the Devil a Daughter by Dennis Wheatley (1953)
The Molly Fountain and Colonel Verney Series Book 1
Length: 384 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 31 December 2011
Finished: 6 January 2012
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 30 December 2011
Why do I have it? I like horror and Dennis Wheatley is a new author for me.

Christina seemed no different from any other young girl - polite, attractive and a little shy. But every evening, as darkness fell, Christina changed amazingly. Dark, demonic power rose inside her and threatened all around her. As that terrible power began to emerge, it called out to the mist and rain of the Essex marshes. Hidden away beneath the stones of Bentford Priory, a hideous monster created by a satanic priest awaited a virgin sacrifice to bring it to life.

I have to say that I requested this book because I enjoy occult novels. I had never actually heard of Dennis Wheatley as an author before and never realized that he was such a prolific writer. I do think that I remember reading somewhere that this particular novel was made into a Hammer Films movie sometime in the 1970s along with another one or two of Dennis Wheatley's novels.

Anyway, I think that I will give this book a B+! I did enjoy the premise of the novel and found that there were parts that moved along quite quickly. I found that it finished very well, but it did rather drag in other parts. It was sometimes too detailed for me. Overall, I think this was a good Dennis Wheatley book to introduce me to the author, but I don't think that Dennis Wheatley will be an automatic add on author to my TBR pile.

B+! - (85-89%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)