Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Kate Veitch - Without a Backward Glance

2. Without a Backward Glance by Kate Veitch (2008)
(Originally Published as: Listen) (2006)
Length: 384 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 2 January 2011
Finished: 5 January 2011
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 19 November 2010
Why do I have it? I like stories about family dynamics and Kate Veitch is a new author for me.

When the four McDonald children's mother leaves them on Christmas Eve 1967, she tells them that it's to get more Christmas lights. Instead, Rosemarie hops a plane to London and disappears for forty years, leaving her husband and children with the burning question: Why?

Over the years, the children become very adept at hiding the feelings of hurt they have at their mother's abandonment; remaining close into adulthood as they start their own families. Until old wounds are reopened by a chance encounter in the street forty years later. Now, with their beloved father suffering dementia, old secrets come to light as the children each deal with their mother's return in their own way.

I truly enjoyed this book. I found it interesting that it took place in Australia as I have never really read anything in the setting of Australia. There was a glossary of Australian terms and slang that was very helpful. I give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)