Saturday, September 26, 2015

Katie Lee - Groundswell: A Novel

61. Groundswell: A Novel by Katie Lee (2011)
Length: 221 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction 
Started: 25 September 2015
Finished: 26 September 2015
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale 
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 June 2015
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Katie Lee is a new author for me.

In the scientific world the theory is known as the "Butterfly Effect". In the real world, it simply means that sometimes the biggest ripples in a person's life are caused by the smallest events. For Emma Guthrie - a novice PA who's just dropped out of college after losing her scholarship - that was the way everything began. One day she walks into the trailer of the world-famous movie star Garrett Walker; when she walks out the door, she's fast on her way to becoming Mrs. Emma Walker - the wife of an A-list actor.

Soon, Emma has made the seamless transition from relative nobody to red-carpet royalty, trading her generic-brand jeans and flip-flops for closets full of names such as Chanel and Birkin - the typical clothing and accessories worn by every celebrity who swishes past velvet ropes to attend every lavish party and charity gala held on both coasts. With her husband's encouragement, Emma soon pens a screenplay based on her life. Her movie memoir, 'Fame Tax', quickly becomes a blockbuster sensation. Through it all, Garrett is her ally and her mentor...until their relationship is thrown into question by an incriminating text message that Emma discovers on Garrett's phone the night of the all-important Met Costume Institute Gala.

Undeniably devastated by her husband's blatant infidelity and hounded mercilessly by the paparazzi, Emma must flee New York City to try and get away from it all. Choosing the furthest possible location she can in order to clear her head, Emma's perfect destination turns out to be a sleepy coastal town in Mexico where she can sink back into obscurity. Absolutely no one recognizes her and there is nothing to see but unspoiled beaches for miles. Here, she meets Ben, a gorgeous, native Californian - a surf instructor, who teaches Emma about the healing properties of surfing, shows her the joys of the simple life, and ultimately reopens her heart to the possibility of love.

In a story that showcases some of Manhattan's trendiest restaurants to the yacht-and-celebrity infested waters of the vacationer's paradise known as St. Bart's, Katie Lee's debut novel offers an irresistible insider's glimpse into a glittering world - and a captivating story about how losing everything you thought you wanted can often be the first step in the journey toward finding what you need. I must say that while I watch Katie Lee all the time on her television show 'The Kitchen' - and I assumed that she wrote several cookbooks - it never even crossed my mind that she wrote a novel as well. I was actually quite surprised to learn that Ms. Lee was a published author of contemporary fiction.

In my opinion, this was just the right type of book for me to read. It was fairly fast-paced, and an easy enough read - and it only took me a day to read. Yes, there was romance throughout the story, and as most of you may already know - I don't usually like reading stories that are so focused on romantic elements. Groundswell: A Novel by Katie Lee was slightly different though; I found myself really enjoying the story and would give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)