Thursday, June 20, 2013

Anita Shreve - The Last Time They Met: A Novel

53. The Last Time They Met: A Novel by Anita Shreve (2001)
Length: 313 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 18 June 2013
Finished: 20 June 2013
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 24 April 2009
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

At a literary festival in Toronto, poet Linda Fallon encounters a face from her past: Thomas Janes, the famous poet, had once been at the center of Linda's life. Since last seeing him, she has married, given birth, and been widowed. Thomas' appearance rocks Linda, raising questions she had long since abandoned and inspiring new dreams. 

The Last Time They Met: A Novel moves backward in time to explore Linda's life years earlier. To age twenty-six, when an affair with Thomas shattered her life. And to age seventeen, thirty-five years earlier, when a chance first meeting on a rocky beach binds them fatefully together.

In my opinion, this was an absolutely excellent book. It did take several pages for me to get into the plot, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It may be because I had read The Weight of Water before this book - several characters from The Weight of Water were also in this book, although it can be read as a standalone - so the characters truly came alive for me and I became invested in their lives. I enjoyed The Weight of Water just as much as I did this book, and I will give The Last Time They Met: A Novel a definite A+! 

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

2 comments:

  1. The Weight of Water was my first Shreve book and I loved it and any book of hers is excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)