Tuesday, October 2, 2012

100 Most Frequently Challenged Books: 1990-1999


I'll admit that being born in Derry, Northern Ireland and being raised in Manchester, England from age three to adulthood, has led me to not know that many authors on this list. I think that many of these authors are American, aren't they? Although I know that I have read at least five of the books on this list as an early adult.
  1. Scary Stories (series) by Alvin Schwartz - (I know that Mareena read two out of the three books in this series - Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - when she was about eight or nine years old.)
  2. Daddy’s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
  3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  4. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
  5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - (I remember reading this book in college, and Mareena read it in ninth or tenth grade English. Her English teacher commented on her reading assignment for the book - the class had to write a deleted scene from the book as a creative writing assignment - that Mareena wrote almost identically to John Steinbeck's style! I read her assignment myself and literally could not tell the difference. :))
  7. Forever by Judy Blume
  8. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
  9. Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
  10. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - (I read this book sometime in my late teens and have gotten another copy to reread at some point in the future. Mareena read this book in the eleventh grade English.)
  11. The Giver by Lois Lowry
  12. My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
  13. It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
  14. Alice (series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
  15. Goosebumps (series) by R.L. Stine
  16. A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
  17. The Color Purple by Alice Walker - (I know that Mareena read this book for a high school reading assignment - maybe twelfth grade - but I never have.)
  18. Sex by Madonna
  19. Earth’s Children (series) by Jean M. Auel - (I think I may have the first two books in this series - The Clan of the Cave Bear and The Valley of Horses on my downstairs bookshelf, although I haven't read them.)
  20. The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
  21. In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
  22. The Witches by Roald Dahl
  23. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle - (Mareena recently gave away her copy of this book.)
  24. The New Joy of Gay Sex by Charles Silverstein
  25. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
  26. The Goats by Brock Cole
  27. The Stupids (series) by Harry Allard
  28. Anastasia Krupnik (series) by Lois Lowry
  29. Final Exit by Derek Humphry
  30. Blubber by Judy Blume
  31. Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam
  32. Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
  33. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
  34. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
  35. What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters by Lynda Madaras
  36. Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
  37. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
  38. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
  39. The Pigman by Paul Zindel - (Mareena read this book in ninth grade English.)
  40. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - (Mareena read half this book for her seventh grade English class, but we moved to Cape Cod and she never was able to finish reading the book. Several years ago, she bought the 50th Anniversary Edition from Barnes and Noble which she has on her bookshelf.)
  41. We All Fall Down by Robert Cormier
  42. Deenie by Judy Blume
  43. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - (I know that Mareena read this book - maybe in eighth grade English.)
  44. Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
  45. Beloved by Toni Morrison
  46. The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar
  47. Cross Your Fingers, Spit in Your Hat by Alvin Schwartz
  48. Harry Potter (series) by J.K. Rowling - (Mareena has the entire series on her bookshelf and has read the first two books - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - for fun when she was a freshman in college. I have also read the first book.)
  49. Cujo by Stephen King - (I read this book about 30 years ago.)
  50. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
  51. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein - (Mareena read this book for fun when she was about ten years old.)
  52. Ordinary People by Judith Guest - (I read this book in June of 2010 and here is my review of it.)
  53. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
  54. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  55. Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)
  56. Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard
  57. Asking About Sex and Growing Up by Joanna Cole
  58. What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Boys: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Sons by Lynda Madaras
  59. The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell
  60. Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume - (Mareena read this book for fun when she was about eleven or twelve years old.)
  61. Boys and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
  62. Crazy Lady by Jane Conly
  63. Athletic Shorts by Chris Crutcher
  64. Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan - (Mareena read this book for ninth grade English.)
  65. Fade by Robert Cormier
  66. Guess What? by Mem Fox
  67. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  68. Lord of the Flies by William Golding - (I read this book about 30 years ago and Mareena read it for tenth grade English.) 
  69. Native Son by Richard Wright
  70. Women on Top: How Real Life Has Changed Women’s Fantasies by Nancy Friday
  71. Curses, Hexes and Spells by Daniel Cohen
  72. On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
  73. The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
  74. Jack by A.M. Homes
  75. Arizona Kid by Ron Koertge
  76. Family Secrets by Norma Klein
  77. Mommy Laid an Egg by Babette Cole
  78. Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo A. Anaya
  79. Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle
  80. The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney
  81. Carrie by Stephen King - (I read this book when it was first published and this was Mareena's first Stephen King book that she read at age 14. She recently acquired another copy that's on her bookshelf.)
  82. The Dead Zone by Stephen King - (I'm currently trying to trying to track down this book and hope to acquire a copy very soon. I've never read this book, but recently saw the movie with Christopher Walken and it sparked my interest.)
  83. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
  84. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
  85. Always Running by Luis Rodriguez
  86. Private Parts by Howard Stern
  87. Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford
  88. Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene
  89. Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
  90. Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
  91. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - (My brother-in-law and his wife gave Mareena this book when they visited us two years ago.)
  92. Running Loose by Chris Crutcher
  93. Sex Education by Jenny Davis
  94. Jumper by Steven Gould
  95. Christine by Stephen King - (I may have this book on my downstairs bookshelf)
  96. The Drowning of Stephen Jones by Bette Greene
  97. That Was Then, This is Now by S.E. Hinton
  98. Girls and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
  99. The Wish Giver by Bill Brittain
  100. Jump Ship to Freedom by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)