Monday, April 9, 2012

Helen Stancey - Common Ground

28. Common Ground by Helen Stancey (1986)
Length: 236 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 4 April 2012
Finished: 9 April 2012
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 April 2009
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Helen Stancey is a new author for me.


Clovis lives a life of self-imposed exile and isolation as a result of his wife's tragic death. In his mind, his obsessive ambition was responsible for her death and he has retreated into himself to escape the painful memories of the past. However, a chance encounter with a young black woman, Pearl Thomas, brings Clovis into contact with a whole new circle of friends: Duncan, his wife Roz and Philip. Duncan is preoccupied with his academic studies and is selfishly oblivious to Roz's needs who finds herself stretched to her breaking point with the demands of her career and marriage. Philip is an unemployed actor whose manipulations touch on all their lives. 


I really enjoyed this book with its frank look at interpersonal relationships. Helen Stancey is a totally new author for me and I already have her debut book Words and a book of short stories called The Madonna of the Pool on my TBR pile. I give this book an A+! 


A+! - (96-100%)


Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)