Thursday, December 1, 2011

Monica Dickens - The Great Fire

59. The Great Fire by Monica Dickens (1973)
Length: 64 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started/Finished: 1 December 2011
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 3 December 2009
Why do I have it? I have read and enjoyed One Pair of Feet by the same author and, well, I sort of went on a Monica Dickens reading jag after I read it, getting as many of her books as I possibly could find online.

Orphaned due to the Great Plague of 1665, 12-year-old Peter has somehow built a new life for himself. It is tough, but he is living a relatively good life until the Great Fire of London strikes. Will Peter survive, or will he lose everything to the devastation of the fire?

I have to say that when I first received this book, I didn't realize that it was a children's book. I have nothing against reading children's books, as a matter of fact, I sometimes prefer an author's treatment of history in a children's book rather than an adult history book. It feels too much like work to me to read some historical fiction for adults. Some books are almost too well researched, if that makes sense to you.

Anyway, I found this book rather simple. As it should be, I suppose for a children's book and actually the story was "cute" - strange word to use I know for the time period that the book depicts. I suppose that I mean the plot was too easily wrapped up, in my opinion. I did enjoy parts of the story but at the end, I had to give The Great Fire by Monica Dickens a B+!

B+! - (89-85%).


Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)