Sunday, November 1, 2015

Norah Lofts - Lovers All Untrue: A Novel

68. Lovers All Untrue: A Novel by Norah Lofts (1970)
Length: 252 pages 
Genre: Historical Fiction 
Started: 30 October 2015
Finished: 1 November 2015
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 7 April 2009
Why do I have it? I like historical fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

A carefully detailed portrait of Victorian England serves as the background for this ultimately tragic story of two young women taking their first eager and awkward steps towards adulthood. For the Draper sisters; headstrong Marion and her more docile-natured sister Ellen, living under their father's thumb has reached nearly intolerable levels. Their father is a strict disciplinarian, a controlling, domineering man who seeks only to stifle his daughters youthful exuberance and incipient passions.

From the inevitable conflict that is created by such strong personalities living under the same roof, arises feelings of frustration and bitterness. The struggles of a young woman who is trying to escape an impossible situation by finding love, quickly deteriorate to the point of no return. What should be easy and natural in the life of a young, passionate girl, however, is not, and her circumstances go from bad to worse.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I found myself completely swept away by this story. In my opinion, this is typical Norah Lofts fare - a superbly-crafted plot and intriguing story; filled with well-developed and believable characters, and realistically suspenseful gothic atmosphere. I give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)