Friday, November 27, 2015

Emma Donoghue - Room: A Novel

75. Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue (2010)
Length: 361 pages 
Genre: Contemporary Fiction 
Started: 25 November 2015
Finished: 27 November 2015
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale 
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 June 2015
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Emma Donoghue is a new author for me.

Jack is five years old. He loves watching 'SpongeBob Squarepants' and 'Dora the Explorer'. He loves playing 'Simon Says' and singing nursery rhymes with his Ma. He loves the candy and chocolates they sometimes get for Sundaytreat.

Jack loves his Ma. He loves Room. To Jack, Room is his entire world. Jack doesn't really understand why Ma doesn't love Room as much as he does.

Room is where Jack was born; it's where he and his Ma eat and sleep and play and learn. At night, Ma makes sure to shut him safely into the wardrobe, where Jack is meant to sleep when Old Nick visits.

To Jack, Room means home; it means safety. But to Ma, Room means prison. Room is the place where Ma has been held for the past seven years.

Yet, her fierce love for her son has made it possible for her to make a life for him. She has created a life for both of them; inside this eleven-by-eleven-foot space. But Jack's curiosity is building alongside Ma's own desperation - and she knows for certain that Room cannot contain either for much longer.

I must say that I absolutely loved reading this book. Yes, it was an extremely difficult story to read; terrifyingly and heart-breakingly sad, but also remarkably funny in parts. In my opinion, Ms. Donoghue's writing style is absolutely fabulous; so riveting and poignant. This book is a gripping yet hopeful story - a truly fantastic novel that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)