Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Laura Lippman - I'd Know You Anywhere: A Novel

70. I'd Know You Anywhere: A Novel by Laura Lippman (2010)
(Originally Published as: Don't Look Back) (2010)
Length: 373 pages
Genre: Contemporary Mystery
Started: 5 November 2015
Finished: 10 November 2015
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 16 August 2014
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Laura Lippman is a new author for me.

Eliza Benedict cherishes her peaceful, ordinary suburban life. She is happily married to her successful husband Peter, and the couple have two precocious children - thirteen-year-old Iso and eight-year-old Albie. Yet Eliza's tranquility is suddenly and inexplicably shattered when she receives a letter from the one person from her past she never thought she would hear from again. He is, in fact, the last person she ever expects - or even wants - to hear from: Walter Bowman.

With his simple statement: "There was your photo, in a magazine. Of course, you are older now. Still, I'd know you anywhere." - Walter Bowman has the disturbing ability to turn strong, self-assured thirty-eight-year-old Eliza Benedict, back into a desperate, frightened teenager named Elizabeth Lerner. In the summer of 1985, when she was fifteen, Eliza was kidnapped by Walter and held hostage for almost six weeks. He had already killed at least one girl by the time he took Eliza, and she always suspected that he had other victims as well.

Now sitting on death row in Virginia for the rape and murder of his final victim - a thirteen-year-old girl - Walter seems to be making a heartfelt act of contrition as his execution nears. Although Eliza wants absolutely nothing to do with him, she has also never forgotten that Walter was always the most unpredictable when he was ignored. Desperate to shield her children from the undisclosed trauma in her past, she cautiously makes contact with Walter. She's actually always wondered why Walter let her live; perhaps now he'll tell her. And finally reveal the truth about his other victims.

Yet, as Walter continues to press Eliza for more frequent contact and a deeper connection, it quickly becomes evident that he has ulterior motives. He wants Eliza to remember what actually happened to her during that long-ago summer. He is after something far greater than forgiveness. He wants her to save his life.

And Eliza, who has worked so hard for her comfortable, cocooned life, will do absolutely anything to protect it...to maintain her hard-won serenity - even if it means finally facing the events of that horrifying summer and the terrible truth she's kept buried deep inside. I'd Know You Anywhere is an edgy, gripping tale of psychological manipulation that will leave readers breathless. This is a tremendous novel about fear, intimidation and survival from the acclaimed, award-winning author Laura Lippman.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was an incredibly vivid portrayal of the psychological scars that are left behind by a single traumatic experience. Laura Lippman is a new author for me and this is the first of her books that I've ever read, but I will certainly keep her name on top of my wishlist. I give this book a definite A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)