Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Cammie McGovern - Neighborhood Watch: A Novel

10. Neighborhood Watch: A Novel by Cammie McGovern (2010)
Length: 274 pages
Genre: Contemporary Mystery
Started: 2 February 2015
Finished: 4 February 2015
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 21 November 2013
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Cammie McGovern is a new author for me.

"Librarian Found Innocent of Crime After Twelve Years in Prison," the newspaper headlines read. The problem is, former librarian Betsy Treading couldn't feel less innocent - even after new DNA evidence irrefutably exonerates her of the murder of her eccentric and noticeably single neighbor, Linda Sue Murphy. True, the evidence may have released Betsy from prison, but she quickly discovers that innocence in court doesn't necessarily redeem her in the eyes of old friends.

The truth is, Betsy will never feel exonerated until Linda Sue's true killer is found, and the murder for which she was wrongfully convicted is successfully solved. Back in her old neighborhood without a job, a car, a place to live, or her husband, Betsy is determined to clear her name and find Linda Sue's murderer at all costs. So, she sets out to unravel the complex web of denial, delusion, and secrets that have seemingly paralyzed the community. But the ultimate question is: will this former librarian be successful in shattering the perfect facade that protects such an idyllic world and has apparently ensnared her community?

Neighborhood Watch: A Novel by Cammie McGovern is an intricately woven, psychologically astute tale that will keep readers guessing until the very last page. This is a riveting and frightening story of false accusations, and of the lengths to which some people will go to to keep their 'white-picket-fence' facade in place. It is also the story of a woman coming into her own, finding her strength, and taking control of her life. It asks readers, what sort of price would you pay for the sake of your reputation?

In my opinion, this was an amazing book. I was immediately sucked into the story; it was an engrossing, nail-biting psychological tour-de-force - filled with all the secrets, lies, and deceptions of life in small-town suburbia. I appreciated that this story was so well-paced; I found it not necessarily over-dramatic, but always flowing and moving.

In my opinion, the plot never became boring or stilted; what drama there was, never slowed or stalled the story. I found this story thoroughly intriguing and I wanted to know what happened next. I would give Neighborhood Watch: A Novel by Cammie McGovern a definite A+! This is the first book that I've read by this author, but it most certainly will not be my last.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)