Monday, April 15, 2013

Laura Wilson - My Best Friend

30. My Best Friend by Laura Wilson (2001)
Length: 320 pages
Genre: Historical Mystery
Started: 12 April 2013
Finished: 15 April 2013
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 11 April 2013
Why do I have it? I like historical mysteries and had read and enjoyed A Little Death by the same author in the past.

England, 1944: In a time of unparalleled fear, youngsters everywhere sought sanctuary in the magical books of author M. M. Haldane. No danger was ever too great to prevent her hero - Tom Tyler, Boy Detective - from returning safely home for tea. Inside such an idyllic storybook world, the danger was always overcome and good always vanquished evil.

Playing in the woods of a quiet Suffolk village one day, fourteen-year-old Gerald Haxton - the disturbed and unpopular son of the famous children's author - discovers the body of his elder sister Vera buried in a shallow grave. She had been beaten to death with a wooden stake and her boyfriend, a young GI, is hanged for the crime. The discovery of Vera's body is so horrifying for Gerald, that his innocence is lost forever...

England, 1995: As a new generation prepares to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of VE Day, Gerald, who still remains a loner, is terrorized by his memories. Gerald is nearing retirement, desperately lonely and living something of a hermit's life. Obsessed with routine, he still talks to his dead twin brother, Jack. Surrounded by the nostalgic artifacts at the television prop-hire business where he works, he is constantly reminded of the past, and with it, his sister Vera's death.

Gerald eventually finds solace in following twelve-year-old Mel, the daughter of his colleague, home from school every day. To protect her, he says. But when Mel - who bears a striking resemblance to Vera - goes missing one day, all eyes turn accusingly to Gerald.

I really enjoyed reading this book. This was the second book by Laura Wilson that I've read, but it is actually the third book that she has written. I felt so sorry for Gerald - in my opinion, Gerald received rather a raw deal. He was targeted because he was different, but in my opinion, Gerald couldn't or wouldn't have harmed a fly. I give My Best Friend by Laura Wilson an A! 

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)