Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Laura Wilson - A Little Death

28. A Little Death by Laura Wilson (1999)
Length: 293 pages
Genre: Historical Mystery
Started: 7 April 2013
Finished: 9 April 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 2 February 2013
Why do I have it? I like historical mysteries and Laura Wilson is a new author for me.

The police find the bodies of three elderly recluses amid the musty, hoarded belongings in a 1950's London town house. The victims - one man and two women - have all been shot to death. However, when the death scene yields no clues as to what might have occurred, the police conclude that one of the victims shot the others before committing suicide. But which one? And why?

The story is told from the view points of the three main characters, the three elderly recluses themselves, whose bodies were recently discovered by the police. Georgina Gresham - maverick and manipulative - a former society beauty, had been a prime suspect in her husband's notorious murder thirty years before, but was ultimately acquitted.  Georgina's brother, Edmund - her lifelong confidante and companion - loves his sister dearly and will do anything she asks him to do. Ada - their long-suffering housekeeper - is salty, shrewd, and slowly, silently witnessing her life pass her by, until...

Buried in the trio's youth is the fatal seed whose dark tendrils overlaid Victorian country summers, the Great War, the Roaring Twenties...and all the cravings, fantasies, and twists of fate that would chain them together in life...and in one explosive moment of violent death.

I really enjoyed this book! The characters were all rather quirky and got up to all kinds of shenanigans throughout the story. I did find it slightly difficult getting into the pace of the story, but that might just be because of a lack of concentration on my part. I ultimately picked up the threads of the mystery very quickly during my reading and gave A Little Death by Laura Wilson an A+! In my opinion, this was an excellent debut, and I have put Laura Wilson's next two books on my Wish List.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

6 comments:

  1. Mary, thanks for supporting Books You Loved again. Hope you are having a great week. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming over from Carole's linky party. This sounds very interesting. I'm adding it to my "To Read" list. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Carole,
    You are more than welcome! See you next month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lori,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! :) You're more than welcome for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would enjoy this book. THANKS. So many books out there that I haven't heard of....this is great to have everyone list their books.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved April Edition. I am in the list as #21.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Elizabeth,
    I have read several Barbara Delinsky books and thoroughly enjoyed most of them. I think my favorite is A Woman's Place. I must check out the one you mentioned Sweet Salt Air - sounds good. Thanks, Elizabeth.
    Sincerely,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)