Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Jodi Picoult - House Rules: A Novel

24. House Rule: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (2010)
Length: 532 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 19 March 2013
Finished: 26 March 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 2 February 2013
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

Jacob Hunt is a teenager with Asperger's Syndrome. He is hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, although he is brilliant in many ways. Like many children with Asperger's, Jacob has also developed a special focus for a specific subject - in his case, forensic analysis. He is constantly showing up at crime scenes, thanks to the police scanner that he keeps in his room, and telling the police what they need to do...and he's usually right. 

But when Jacob's small town is rocked by a terrible murder, for a change, the police come to Jacob with questions. All the hallmarks of Asperger's - not looking someone in the eye, unexplained tics and twitches, flat affect - can look so much like guilt to law enforcement. Suddenly, Jacob and his family, who only want to fit in, feel the spotlight shining directly on them.

For Jacob's mother, Emma, it's a brutal reminder of the intolerance and misunderstanding that always threatens her family. For his brother, Theo, it's another indication of why nothing is normal because of Jacob. And over this small family the soul-searing question looms: Did Jacob commit murder? 

I enjoyed this book immensely! House Rules is the third book by Jodi Picoult that I've read, and I must say that, in my opinion, each of the books that I've read have been entirely different. The characters have all been fully realized, the plots have been well-written and extremely thought-provoking, and Jodi Picoult is quickly becoming an author who I appreciate reading. I give House Rules by Jodi Picoult an A+! and look forward to reading her next book very soon.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

2 comments:

  1. Rosefire,
    I liked your review so much that may actually start reading Jodi Picoult's books. As I said in another commentary in your page I saw the movie My Sister's Keeper and enjoyed it a great deal though I haven't read the book.
    I read Lone Wolf and found it thought provoking, as you say, and very absorbing.
    I think JP has the potential to become one of my favorite authors so I'll give her another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carmen,
    Absolutely. I have read three Jodi Picoult books now, and I found House Rules to be my favorite. I am going to try and get a copy of Lone Wolf ASAP. I'm quite a fan of Jodi Picoult now! :) Thank you so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)