Thursday, November 29, 2012

Anne Rivers Siddons - Low Country

104. Low Country by Anne Rivers Siddons (1998)
Length: 461 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 26 November 2012
Finished: 29 November 2012
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 27 October 2012
Why do I have it? I like Anne Rivers Siddons as an author and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

Caroline Venable is the quintessential Southern Belle. Her southern heritage has also afforded her money, prestige, a powerful husband - and a predictable routine of country club luncheons, cocktail parties and dinners hosting her husband's wealthy friends, clients and associates in his successful land-developing conglomerate.

To escape her stifling routine, Caro drinks a little too much. But her true solace is found in Peacock's Island - the Lowcountry island her beloved Grandaddy left her - an oasis of breathtaking beauty that is home to a herd of wild ponies. When Caro learns that her husband must develop the island or lose his business, she is devastated. Peacock's Island and the Lowcountry is Caro's heritage - and what will happen to the ponies whose wild spirit and freedom have captivated her since childhood?

Saving the island could cost Caroline more than she ever imagined. To succeed, she must confront the part of herself numbed by alcohol and careful avoidance - and shatter long-held ideals about her role in society, her marriage, and ultimately, herself.

I have to say that while I did enjoy reading this book, it was not really as captivating as I hoped that it might be for me. I thought that the plot was a little too contrived for my liking. I still enjoyed this book enough to give it an A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)