Sunday, July 1, 2012

Morris L. West - Summer of the Red Wolf



54. Summer of the Red Wolf by Morris L. West (1971)
Length: 308 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 28 June 2012
Finished: 1 July 2012
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 April 2009
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Morris L. West is a new author for me.

A writer, accustomed to writing about the troubled spots of the world and living in the hustle and bustle of the cities, decides to take time off in order to recharge his spirit and find a certain peace of mind. He travels to the Western Outer Isles of Scotland, known as the Outer Hebrides, and settles in and around the islands of Lewis and Harris. His arrival to the area and his friendships with two young men, as well as his love for one young woman, Kathleen, provide the spark that ignites a drama of madness and terror that forever changes all their lives.

I really enjoyed this book, the first of Morris L. West's works that I've ever actually read although I may have some of his other books on my bookshelves downstairs. They are so well-hidden that I haven't actually investigated very well. I give this book an A+! and look forward to finding out whether I actually do have any more of Morris L. West's books around. He is an Australian author whose earlier life sort of mirrors my late husband's - as my husband spent roughly five years studying to become a priest, but left before he took his final vows.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

3 comments:

  1. You've inspired me to search through my own shelves to see if I have this particular work. I have really enjoyed those novels of West's that I have read (including Second Victory, Shoes of the Fisherman, and The Clowns of God), and you've reminded me to seek out his other work when I'm next looking for something good to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pat,
    I'm really delighted that you feel inspired to read Morris L. West again. I will certainly be reading more of his books after picking up "Summer of the Red Wolf" quite by chance from the hundreds of assorted books in my garage (bookcases in my house are all crammed full) Pat, where are we going to find the time to read all these wonderful books? Years ago I intended to write my own book, but now I know I won't - too busy reading! :)
    Good luck with all your projects.
    Happy reading,
    Mary McGirr

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe every good writer starts out as a really good reader — so I hope you haven't really given up on the idea of writing your own book!

    There are so many more opportunities today to share your writing with others, and such a great need for books written by individuals who have read widely and well. It may just be the old literature prof in me, but I always want to encourage smart, literate people to write their own work, even though I totally understand how hard it is to do so.

    In the meantime, I will content myself with reading your wonderful reviews — thank you for sharing your reading, Mary, and for your reply!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)