Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Jill Ireland - Life Wish

59. Life Wish by Jill Ireland (1987)
Length: 294 pages
Genre: Non-Fiction
Started: 21 July 2012
Finished: 24 July 2012
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 March 2009
Why do I have it? I like autobiographies and I truly admired Jill Ireland. I read Life Lines back in 2010 and this is actually a reread for me after several years.

Three years before this book was written, Jill Ireland had everything going for her - a thrilling movie career, seven adoring children, a lavish house in Bel Air, a rambling horse farm in Vermont and she was happily married to fellow actor Charles Bronson. Then she went to visit her doctor for an annual visit; what should have been a routine checkup revealed that Jill Ireland had breast cancer and cancer of the lymph nodes.

Determined to take responsibility for her own recovery, Jill underwent a radical mastectomy and the months of chemotherapy that her doctors prescribed. She also turned to more unconventional forms of treatment - holistic healing, homeopathic medicine, a trained counselor, a new diet, meditation, even astrology. Jill did everything that she could to get well.

Jill Ireland writes about her childhood growing up in postwar England, her early career on the stage as a dancer, her movie career in Hollywood and her children and family. She enjoyed a lively childhood, surrounded by her horses and much love. Jill Ireland merges her past and present with a vibrancy and wit that could not and would not be extinguished.

I really enjoyed this book and am happy to report that Jill Ireland did in fact, beat this bout with cancer. She was in remission for a while, but unfortunately, the cancer came back and eventually claimed her life. Jill Ireland's fighting personality reminds me so much of a close family member's personality who is currently fighting breast cancer herself. I give this book an A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)