Sunday, June 18, 2017

Joan Mendlicott - The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love: A Novel

15. The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love: A Novel by Joan Medlicottt (2000)
The Ladies of Covington Series Book 1
Length: 371 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 12 June 2017
Finished: 18 June 2017
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 5 June 2017
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

The harsh circumstances of life have brought together three very different women of "a certain age" in a Pennsylvania boardinghouse where the most any of them can hope for is a sagging bed and three square meals a day. Grace Singleton is an extraordinarily cautious woman who remains uncertain of her place in such an intimidating world; Hannah Parrish may be outspoken about a great many things, but she harbors a profoundly private fear that could change her life forever; Amelia Declose is a fragile soul who has been shattered by devastating grief. These three ladies may be as different as can be, yet their friendship will ultimately lead them all to experience the adventure of their lifetimes.

Their friendship will take take them on an extraordinary journey to North Carolina - and to a dilapidated farmhouse where the unexpected suddenly seems delightfully promising. Such startling changes will not only seem entirely welcome, but also come as a sweet surprise to each woman. As each lady travels along on this shared adventure, they will be surprised to find that the years they have managed to reclaim from the shadows of twilight just may be the best years of their lives. Years which will offer something infinitely more precious and rare: confidence, competence, and even another chance at love...

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book; in my opinion, it is a truly delightful story. This was certainly easy reading for me, but there was just enough going on in the plot to hold my attention all the way through the story. While this isn't completely a 'fluffy, feel good' story, I appreciated that it also wasn't entirely dark and depressing - I would give this book an A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)