Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Kate Morton - The Secret Keeper: A Novel

45. The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton (2012)
Length: 484 pages
Genre: Contemporary Mystery
Started: 4 July 2015
Finished: 8 July 2015
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 June 2015
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Kate Morton is a new author for me.

At a summer garden party in the 1960's, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has finally managed to slip away during a children's game of hide and seek. In the family's farmhouse situated in the rural English countryside, Laurel has escaped to her childhood treehouse and is happily dreaming of the future. Suddenly, way off in the distance, she spies a stranger walking along the road towards the farmhouse and watches as her mother speaks to him.

Although she doesn't realize it at the time, before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime. A crime that will ultimately challenge everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy - her vivacious, loving, nearly perfect mother. Laurel's happiness and contentment with her life will be shaken to its foundation, and rediscovering her peace of mind will subsequently lead her on the journey of a lifetime.

Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and highly-regarded actress living in London. The family has gathered at Greenacres farm to celebrate Dorothy's ninetieth birthday. Realizing that this may very well be her last chance, Laurel seizes her opportunity and searches for the answers to questions that still haunt her from that long-ago day. Answers that can only be found buried deep in Dorothy's past.

Dorothy's story spans the years from pre-World War II England through the blitz, into the 1960's and beyond. It is the shared secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds - Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy - who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are subsequently forever entwined. The Secret Keeper: A Novel explores longings and dreams and the unexpected consequences they sometimes bring. This is an unforgettable story of lovers and friends, deception and passion that is told against a backdrop of events that changed the world.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The story captured my attention right away and I was completely intrigued by the mystery. The mystery was certainly engrossing to me, and the plot was extremely dramatic and filled with quite a few unexpected twists and turns. I give The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton an A+! I will be sure to put this author's name on my Wish List.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)