Saturday, October 26, 2013

Michael Phillip Cash - The Hanging Tree: A Novella

100. The Hanging Tree: A Novella by Michael Phillip Cash (2013)
Length: 77 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 25 October 2013
Finished: 26 October 2013  
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Michael Phillip Cash and to Red Feather Publishing for sending me a copy of this book to read.  
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 23 October 2013  
Why do I have it? I like horror and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past. 

Set amid the eerie backdrop of Long Island, an area famously infused with age-old legends, two young would-be lovers contemplate their future while visits from those who have come before them reveal the lure of fate...and the power of free will. At seventeen, Arielle's relationship with her parents is slowly deteriorating. Angry and defiant, she is at a loss on how to cope with the tumultuous situation in which she finds herself. Arielle's only comfort is her relationship with Chad - an eighteen-year-old young man who seems to truly understand her struggles.  

Arielle and Chad often meet beneath the low-hanging branches of an ancient and majestic landmark, which the local community has nick-named the "Hanging Tree". It has long been rumored that the tree is haunted by ghosts. These apparitions span various centuries and differ widely in age, but each one of them shares one thing in common: their deaths are all somehow connected to the tree itself. 

As Arielle and Chad commiserate over their current situation and the precarious nature of their future, the spectral inhabitants of the Hanging Tree witness their conversation. One by one, the ghosts begin reminiscing about their own lives - and deaths - as they examine the inner demons with which their human forms long struggled.

I must say that I enjoyed reading this book very much. In my opinion, the plot and characters were well-developed and believable considering the length of the story. I give this book an A+! and look forward to reading more from Michael Phillip Cash in the future.

A+! - (96-100%)
        
Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)