Sunday, July 7, 2013

Belva Plain - After the Fire

61. After the Fire by Belva Plain (2000)
Length: 439 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 5 July 2013
Finished: 7 July 2013
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 25 May 2013
Why do I have it? I like Belva Plain as an author and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

Gerald and Hyacinth had the type of marriage others envied. She was a talented artist. He was a brilliant plastic surgeon. Theirs was a comfortable, happy home with two wonderful children. Then whispers of betrayal tainted Hy's perfect marriage. And in one terrible night she commits an act that she will regret for the rest of her life. An act that gives Gerald the ultimate weapon: blackmail.

The price of his silence is uncontested custody of their two children. When her angry mother wants to know why Hyacinth won't fight for custody, she can give no satisfactory answers. But deep in her heart, Hyacinth knows that there is one question she must answer if she wants to free herself from a life of lies: What really happened that terrible night? Only then can she reclaim her children, her pride, her life - at last.

I think that Belva Plain is a really gifted storyteller, and After the Fire is yet another example of what a terrific storyteller she is. I was drawn into the story from the first page, and really wanted to know how Hyacinth would deal with her dilemma. I give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)