Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mary Higgins Clark - Mount Vernon Love Story: A Novel of George and Martha Washington

2. Mount Vernon Love Story: A Novel of George and Martha Washington by Mary Higgins Clark (2002)
(Originally Published as: Aspire to the Heavens) (1968)
Length: 254 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 1 January 2013
Finished: 2 January 2013
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 12 December 2012
Why do I have it? I like historical fiction and Mary Higgins Clark as an author.

As one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, not too much is known about the private life of George and Martha Washington. In Mount Vernon Love Story: A Novel of George and Martha Washington, Mary Higgins Clark relies on extensive biographical and historical research to bring George Washington and his life and marriage fully into focus for readers. Dispelling the widespread belief that although George Washington married the wealthy widow Martha Dandridge Custis, his one true love was his best friend's wife, Sally Carey Fairfax, Mary Higgins Clark describes the marriage between George and Martha as one full of tenderness and passion - a bond between two people who shared their lives - even the bitter hardship of a winter in Valley Forge - in every way.

For a debut novel, I really thought this book was excellent. I love reading people's biographies and become really immersed in the time periods that are portrayed. I think it was truly a harsh time for both George and Martha Washington as well as for the country as a whole. I give this book an A+! 

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)