Friday, July 22, 2011

Ira Levin - Rosemary's Baby

39. Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (1967)
The Rosemary Series Book 1
Length: 245 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 19 July 2011
Finished: 22 July 2011
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 15 July 2011
Why do I have it? I like horror and Ira Levin is a new author for me.

Newlyweds Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse are absolutely delighted to be starting their new life together. They are so in love with each other, and have such hope for their future. The only issue which could possibly present any problems for such a loving couple is their desire to have a family: Rosemary has always wanted to be a mother, while Guy - a struggling actor - wants to wait until he is more established to have children.

Having recently moved to New York City, Rosemary and Guy are in the process of finding a place to live when an apartment suddenly becomes available in the exclusive building known as 'The Bramford'. Yet, despite hearing disturbing rumors of witchcraft and murder that are a part of the Bramford's turbulent history, the couple is heedless of such dire warnings and eagerly moves into the charming four-room apartment. All the residents of the Bramford are so warm and welcoming to them, that Rosemary is certain she and Guy will be happy living there. And, indeed, they are: Guy is soaring to prominence as a thespian, and Rosemary is ecstatic to learn that she is pregnant...

The couple who have perhaps been the most welcoming to them are Roman and Minnie Castevet: the elderly and eccentric husband and wife living across the hall. Although she secretly finds them both a tad strange and rather meddlesome, Rosemary can tell that Guy likes them...very much. So, she tries not to mind when he begins to spend an inordinate amount of time visiting with the Castevets...alone.

I must say that I absolutely loved reading this book. I found that this story was excellently crafted; the plot was a believable mixture of the realistic and the fantastic, in my opinion. The characters seemed to me to be quite ordinary people, and I think that is exactly what makes the story so frightening to read. I would give this book a definite A+! In this case the book is so much better than the movie.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)