Sunday, May 15, 2011

Anita Shreve - Resistance

29. Resistance by Anita Shreve (1995)
Length: 284 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 5 May 2011
Finished: 15 May 2011
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 5 May 2011
Why do I have it? I like Anita Shreve as an author and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

Set in a Belgian village during World War II, Claire Daussois is struggling to keep her marriage alive amidst severe depletions in her Nazi-occupied village. All the happiness and joy seems to have bled out of her marriage. She and her husband have been sheltering refugees from the war - Allied pilots, fleeing Belgian soldiers and Jews are among some of the people they help.

Claire nurses the wounded, acts as interpreter and waits anxiously for the war to end. One day, when Henri, her husband is doing Resistance work, Claire discovers a downed American B-17 Bomber and a young boy turns to her for help in nursing the injured pilot. As the pilot Ted Brice recovers in Claire's attic, she awakens to the possibility of love. For twenty days, Claire and Ted are sheltered until the war returns with shocking suddenness leaving them with haunting memories of their time together.

I really enjoyed this book, even though it was extremely sad. I give this book an A+!


A+! - (96-100%)


Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)