Sunday, June 7, 2015

Jenny Milchman - Cover of Snow: A Novel

38. Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman (2013)
Length: 326 pages 
Genre: Contemporary Mystery 
Started: 4 June 2015
Finished: 7 June 2015
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale 
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 June 2015
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Jenny Milchman is a new author for me.

Nora Hamilton went to bed one wintry evening married to a wonderful man named Brendan - a man who loved his wife dearly, valued his profession deeply, and had an unwavering affection for his quaint hometown nestled in the Adirondack Mountains of New York. Nora Hamilton woke up the next morning in her old farmhouse, to find that overnight her world had effectively shattered into a million pieces. Her husband, Brendan Hamilton - the trustworthy, by-the-book police officer - had committed suicide. Nora is left feeling bereft and thoroughly confused.

Then a disturbing awareness slowly settles in: Brendan left no note and gave absolutely no indication that he was contemplating taking his own life. So, why then would a rock-solid policeman with such an unswerving devotion to his wife, his job, and his community suddenly choose to end it all? Unraveling her husband's final days, Nora searches for an explanation - but seems to be meeting with an extraordinary amount of resistance that she can't seem to penetrate, no matter how hard she tries. 

It seems utterly bewildering to Nora that everyone she speaks with - from Brendan's best friend and partner, to his fellow police officers, to his brittle mother - are remarkably reticent about speaking to her. It quickly becomes apparent to Nora that she is asking questions no one wants to answer; looking for answers that no one is prepared to give. For beneath the soft cover of snow lies a powerful conspiracy that will stop at nothing to keep its presence unknown...and its darkest secrets hidden.

First of all, let me say that I really enjoyed reading this book. The mystery was interesting, intriguing and full of dramatic twists and turns. It was certainly a remarkably good story, and I was drawn into the plot right from the beginning. It was well-written and dramatic, and I found myself really connecting with the characters. I must say that I was enthralled and wanted to know what would happen next. 

This was the debut novel written by Jenny Milchman and, even though I believe that I have at least one more book by this author somewhere on my bookcase, Cover of Snow: A Novel is the first book by this author that I've read. I will say that despite the fact that the book was very good - and it held my attention all the way through the story - I found the mystery just a bit too complex; it was slightly more complicated than I thought it would be. There were also details about the plot that I, personally, found a little implausible. I read best with the theory that 'Simplicity is the Best Policy' securely in my mind; although I would still give Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman a definite A! I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)