Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Jodi Picoult - Lone Wolf

3. Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult (2012)
Length: 429 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 6 January 2015
Finished: 13 January 2015
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 5 January 2015
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

For the Warrens, secrets have divided their family for so long, that it seems like they will never be able to come back together by their own choice. Then, on an icy winter night, a terrible accident forces them all to come together and make a fateful decision. It's a decision that will ultimately shake all of their lives to the foundations.

Seventeen-year-old Cara has always been her father, Luke's, little princess, protected by him, and confidently shielded by his love. What nobody realizes, however, is that Cara is tormented by a secret that she can't reveal - to anyone. Her older brother, Edward, has secrets of his own...ones that have kept him estranged from his family for the past six years. He has managed to keep them hidden rather well, but now they may come to light, and if they do, Cara will be devastated.

Their mother, Georgie, always felt like she was never able to compete with her ex-husband's life-long obsessions: wild wolves and their pack structure. This was a subject which Luke became completely immersed in; forsaking his own family in order to spend two years alone in the Canadian wilderness, following several wolf packs during that time - and subsequently running a wilderness sanctuary for wolves. And now, Luke's fate hangs in the balance and is held in the hands of her children; as the ex-wife, it seems as if Georgie has no further say in his personal matters.

With conflicting motivations and emotions, what will this family ultimately decide? And will they be able to live with that decision, after the truth has been revealed? What happens when the hope that should sustain a family in crisis, is the very thing tearing it apart?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. In my opinion, it was very well-written, and while I found the discussion of the hierarchies within wolf packs to be incredibly detailed; I appreciated how accurately such discussions described the dynamics within the Warren family. I give Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult an A+! I think Ms. Picoult does a tremendous job of getting the reader to care about these characters and about the difficult situation in which they find themselves.

A+! (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)