Thursday, February 27, 2014

Margaret Forster - Daphne du Maurier: The Secret Life of the Renowned Storyteller

20. Daphne du Maurier: The Secret Life of the Renowned Storyteller by Margaret Forster (1993)
Length: 457 pages
Genre: Non-Fiction
Started: 24 February 2014
Finished: 27 February 2014
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 11 December 2013
Why do I have it? I like non-fiction and Margaret Forster is a new author for me.

This biography explores the motivations behind Daphne du Maurier's numerous spellbinding works. In a prolific writing career that began in 1931 with The Loving Spirit and subsequently spanned fifty years, the portrait that emerges is that of a woman constantly at odds with herself. Her various literary achievements coupled with a drive to succeed often conflicted with her role as a wife and a mother.

Access to Daphne's personal correspondence has allowed the author to reveal such private details of her life as Daphne's bisexual extramarital attractions, which included a longtime infatuation with Gertrude Lawrence - an English singer and actress, famous for her appearances on the London stage and on Broadway. 

Daphne's rich fantasy life and fertile imagination enabled her to write captivating novels epitomized by 1938's Rebecca - a story which continues to endure even to this day. This richly layered biography aptly unveils the passionate nature of a woman who spent her life portraying the secrets of the sexual tensions between men and women. 

I absolutely loved this book. I learned much more about Daphne du Maurier's life than I was expecting. I will say that Margaret Forster's writing style stopped just short of providing too much detail, although I would still give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)
       
Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

1 comment:

  1. I love her books. I am sure she had an interesting life. I like an A+.

    THANKS so much for sharing.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved February Edition. I am in the list as #29. My book entry is below.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)