Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Alicia Clifford - The Affair: A Novel

18. The Affair: A Novel by Alicia Clifford (2012)
Length: 280 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 17 February 2014
Finished: 19 February 2014
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 21 November 2013
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Alicia Clifford is a new author for me.

Over the years, Celia Bayley's books had inspired her readers and won her legions of fans. It was generally considered that Celia's comprehension of the ways of human heart was almost legendary - and that those insights are what made her famous as an author. And why shouldn't Celia Bayley's fans believe this? After all, she had married a handsome war hero and produced three successful children - the very definition of a 'happily ever after' kind of life. 

Yet, as Celia's family gathers together for her funeral, the diaries and notebooks and letters she left behind paint an entirely different picture - one that shocks those who loved her and will ultimately force them to confront the difficult conflicts in their own lives.

A life torn apart by secrets is revealed. The husband Celia adored deceived her early in their marriage and had broken her heart, although they persevered as a family. Then, years later while on a trip with friends, she meets a man for whom she feels a passion she never believed was possible. In one brief moment, Celia's life is turned inside out, and she is faced with an agonizing choice.

I thought this book was beautifully written. It took me a few pages to get into the story, but once I got the characters straightened out, the story became easier for me to follow. The characters were sympathetically drawn, and I found myself caring for them and the various dilemmas in which they found themselves. Extremely powerful and moving, this book is ultimately about marriages, families, and the definition of personal happiness.

I must admit, despite some unanswered questions left in my mind, this book was exactly the kind of story that I like to read. I give this book an A+! and will certainly keep my eyes open for more books by this author to read in the future.

A+! - (96-100%)
            
Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)