Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Will Overby - The Island: A Novel of Terror

119. The Island: A Novel of Terror by Will Overby (2013)
Length: 245 pages 
Genre: Horror
Started: 30 December 2013
Finished: 31 December 2013
Where did it come from? From Amazon
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 14 October 2013
Why do I have it? Mareena downloaded this book for free from Amazon as a 'just because' gift for me, because she knows how much I enjoy horror and Will Overby is a new author for me.

The tranquil island of St. Celine boasts secluded pink-sand beaches and sparkling turquoise waters. Just an hour's ferry ride from Nassau, it's the perfect spot for tourists to 'get away from it all' - to rest, recharge, and de-stress from the harshness of life. In the wake of a personal tragedy, Sarah and her best friend Amy - professors of anthropology at a local college - arrive for a week of sun, margaritas, and maybe a little romance with some of the locals. 

But Sarah's obsession with a pair of honeymooners who recently disappeared from this paradise, leads to the discovery of a bizarre video posted online by the couple just hours before they vanished - images of a purported voudou zombie ritual from somewhere on the island. 

As Sarah and Amy attempt to verify the authenticity of the video and perhaps learn the fate of who made it, they uncover St. Celine's tragic and horrifying past - and the myriad secrets the island's inhabitants will protect at all costs. 

This book is definitely A! material - I really enjoyed reading it, and would certainly be interested in reading more from Will Overby in the future. The story was fast-paced and thrilling; although perhaps slightly more rushed than I was expecting - at least towards the end. Actually, Mareena told me that what first drew her eye to this book was the cover, and then the subtitle. She didn't even need to read the entire synopsis; before she thought she'd download it for me.

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)