Monday, December 17, 2012

Nina Bawden - Kept in the Dark

108. Kept in the Dark by Nina Bawden (1982)
Length: 170 pages
Genre: Contemporary Mystery
Started: 15 December 2012
Finished: 17 December 2012
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 12 December 2012
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and had read and enjoyed The Ice House by the same author in the past.

Clara, Bosie and Noel don't really like the idea of having to live with grandparents they've never met. But Dad is in the hospital, and Mom has to stay near him. The children have nowhere else to stay. To make matters even worse, Grandfather is almost always angry and Grandmother dresses as though she were still a young actress. 

But when their half-cousin David appears, Clara, Noel and Bosie think life will improve. Even though they have never actually heard of David, he is young and seems like fun. Then they begin to notice that David is different - strange. One moment he's nice, and the next he's a bully. He says he is a genius but he acts like a child. And Grandfather and Grandmother seem to be afraid of him. Before long, the children realize they are trapped. David is keeping them all prisoners!

Overall, I think that I really enjoyed this book. For a children's book, it had just the right amount of mystery and menace, and was extremely well-written as well. It was perhaps wrapped up rather too simply for me, but it still kept me very much engaged and interested to find out what happened next. I give this book an A! and will continue looking for more books by Nina Bawden to read.

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)