Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lois Battle - Storyville

42. Storyville by Lois Battle (1993)
Length: 432 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 6 August 2011
Finished: 11 August 2011
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 6 August 2011
Why do I have it? I enjoyed reading Bed and Breakfast by Lois Battle and I went on a bit of a Lois Battle mooching spree. :)

This is the story of two very different women living in 1880s New Orleans. Innocent Kate - seduced by a rake and abandoned - turns to a life of prostitution to support herself. She wins the heart of the wealthy son of a distinguished New Orleans family. Meanwhile, transplanted Boston blueblood, suffragette Julia, has just discovered that her husband Charles owns brothels in Storyville, the prostitution district of New Orleans.

This severely damages their marriage through Julia's bitterness and lack of trust. Eventually, tragedy adds another dimension to their domestic squabbling; then Julia befriends the luckless Kate and comes into her own as a activist for women's rights. I liked this story very much, although I did think that it was a little slow for me to get into at the beginning. I give it an A+!


A+! - (96-100%)



Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)