Monday, June 30, 2014

Philippa Gregory - The White Queen

64. The White Queen by Philippa Gregory (2009)
The Cousins' War Series Book 1
Length: 411 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 26 June 2014
Finished: 30 June 2014
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 29 January 2010
Why do I have it? I like historical fiction and Philippa Gregory is a new author for me.

This first book in a stunning new series - The Cousins' War - chronicles the lives of women set during the Wars of the Roses. Elizabeth Woodville, a common woman who catches the eye of the newly crowned 19-year-old King Edward IV, marries him secretly and so ascends to the throne of England. As a woman of extraordinary beauty and ambition, Elizabeth fights tenaciously for the success of her family from her exalted position as the White Queen - from the House of York.

Yet, as brother turns on brother in the war for the throne of England, Elizabeth's two sons are caught in the middle - the central figures in a mystery that spans five centuries, and still manages to confound historians. The Princes in the Tower of London, whose ultimate fate after their disappearance in 1483, remains unclear to this day.

This was actually my favorite book of the month. The plot was just intellectually stimulating enough to keep my interest engaged until the very end. This is definitely an A+! book, and while it is the first book that I've read by this particular author it most certainly will not be my last.

A+! - (96-100%)    

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

2 comments:

  1. I like Philippa Gregory but her books tend to be long. I read The Queen's Fool and The Other Boleyn Girl years ago and loved both, though the former more than the latter. I'm planning to re-read them again at some undetermined point in the future. This one sounds good too.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with you Carmen, Philippa Gregory's books are really long. I usually balk at reading books longer than 300 pages! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)