Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Anne Tyler - The Tin Can Tree

29. The Tin Can Tree by Anne Tyler (1965)
Length: 188 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 29 March 2014
Finished: 1 April 2014
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 3 February 2014
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

In the small town of Larksville, the Pike family is in the midst of terrible crisis. They are hopelessly out of step with the rhythms of daily life after the tragic, accidental death of six-year-old Janie Rose. Janie Rose's absence is keenly felt by everyone and her family will never be whole again.

Lou - Janie's mother - blames herself for her daughter's death, and so has retreated into her own private world of grief. She seldom speaks to those around her and is barely aware of her surroundings. Roy - Janie's father - has been forced to emerge from his many years of long, comfortable silence. Janie's ten-year-old brother, Simon, is suddenly without his baby sister or any proper understanding of why she's gone.

Those closest to this shattered family must learn to comfort them - as well as confront their own private shadows of hidden grief. If time cannot draw them out of the dark, and thus foster any expectation of creating a meaningful future, then love just may be their only hope...

In my opinion, this was a gripping story. The plot was thoroughly engrossing and I was completely captured from the first page. I wanted to see how each character would cope with their grief. I give this book an A!

As I may have said before, I think that Ms. Tyler is an excellent writer. Those books of hers that I've read, have been filled with characters that you can't help but care for, going through circumstances that are absolutely plausible. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.

A! - (90-95%)
   
Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)